Nonclinical Career Academy Membership Program
Where You Can Find Your First Nonclinical Job Even if You Don’t Know Where to Start
I remember stepping into my dream job as a family physician. It was the culmination of 11 years of hard work.
I was ready to save the world.
At first, I really enjoyed taking care of my patients. But over time, the work became tedious and unrewarding. The patients were entitled and unwilling to follow my instructions. The insurance companies demanded more and more paperwork. And one of my patients sued me for malpractice, even while his wife and other family members continued to come to me for care!
I was burned out from working 60 to 70 hours per week, carrying my pager 24/7, getting up at all hours and rarely being able to take any time off.
I always thought that once residency was over, I’d be able to slow down, spend time with my family, and move into a more normal life. As the years rolled by, I was only becoming busier and less fulfilled as my income plateaued and began to decline.
Something clearly needed to change!
I tried different part-time clinical activities that I thought might bring more satisfaction. Doing more nursing home care didn’t help. The staffing was always horrendous; there was no exam room to evaluate patients in; and the medical problems were unsolvable.
The family planning clinic met a definite community need, but the pay was terrible.
I started to dabble in occupational medicine, but it was mostly workers compensation care. I felt trapped between the malingering employees and the employers who always wanted me to avoid documenting an OSHA-reportable event unless the patient had actually lost a digit or broken a bone.
There did not seem to be a clinical aspect of family medicine that played to my strengths and brought me joy at the same time.
I spoke to colleagues who felt the same way. Some moved to a new practice, or tried starting their own. But these problems just came roaring back.
It was a Nonclinical Career. I discovered that there is a whole world of job options that bring the above benefits, but do NOT require caring for individual patients. If no patients, then no call duties, no medical liability, and no insurance paperwork to do!
Imagine a job that brings you joy, places you in your zone of genius, and actually becomes your purpose in life; a job that you wake up and look forward to each day; a job with the flexibility to go to your kid’s ball game and enjoy your hobbies again.
That’s why I started the Nonclinical Career Academy Membership Program - now called the NCA MemberClub.
The Academy started as individual courses designed to help physicians overcome self-limiting beliefs, learn about nonclinical careers to consider, and select one to pursue. Along the way I developed specific courses designed to foster optimism and confidence, to use LinkedIn effectively, to find mentors and professional associations to join; and courses on specific nonclinical jobs such as hospital management and pharma positions.
And instead of selling individual courses, I created the NCA as a membership program that allows members to:
- access lessons at their convenience to learn the skills needed to pursue a nonclinical job, and the details of multiple job categories to help them truly explore the best options for them,
- complete courses that go deep into specific popular careers, such as medical science liaison and hospital management,
- request new content as their knowledge increases,
- interact with other members through the comment sections of each course,
- learn and share in biweekly “office hours,”
- download checklists and templates to help them enhance their progress.
A Growing Resource
New courses are added on a regular basis, based on members’ feedback, and older courses are constantly updated with new downloads and audio files featuring interviews and tutorials.
Latest New Feature - Monthly Mastermind Sessions
I recently added a monthly meeting where we use the POWER of the mastermind to accelerate your progress. Here is how that works:
- We meet monthly on a Wednesday evening for an hour starting at 7:30 PM Eastern/4:30 PM Pacific
- I will open the doors to the Zoom meeting 10 minutes early, so we can select which members want to take a turn on the "Hot Seat"
- We encourage you to join even if you don't plan to take the Hot Seat because you can learn from other members' challenges!
- If we only have a few participants we'll follow the process and then have an open Q & A
- Introduce yourself with a little background (1 minute)
- Describe something you're grateful for or are celebrating (to start on a positive)
- State your #1 challenge (in the area of clinical to nonclinical career transition)
- Answer clarifying questions from the other members
- Listen to suggestions and possible solutions to consider
- Verbally commit to your next step(s)
This process results in major breakthroughs and is unique to the NCA MemberClub.
Optimized for My Students
I know that each of you is different and might not be interested in the first nonclinical job you encounter. You may start by thinking that you would enjoy the flexibility of freelance medical writing, but later determine that without more structure, you are not self-disciplined enough for the job.
The NCA allows you to start with one career and switch to another, all at your own pace. And using the membership approach, for a modest monthly fee, you can work at your own pace. And as new courses are added each month, you’re free to access those also, until your career search is over.
By working through the content that is right for you, you will move consistently toward the career that you will love. You’ll be able to:
- overcome burnout,
- find more joy and balance in your life,
- spend more time with your family,
- avoid the emotional trauma of a frivolous lawsuit,
- enjoy your hobbies,
- help patients or colleagues in new and exciting ways,
- feel the satisfaction of building a career on your medical knowledge and training.
The NCA currently includes courses addressing the following topics:
- 2 Courses on Mental Preparation and Mindset
- 3 Courses Addressing Your Resume, Linkedin Profile, and Hospital Salaries
- 7 Introductory Courses About Jobs in Pharma, Medical Writing, Remote Jobs, Hospital Management and other fields, including jobs for those WITHOUT residency training
- 5 Courses Aimed at Procuring a Hospital Management Job
- A Complete 6-Lecture Course on Starting Your Medical Science Liaison Career
- A Locum Tenens Masterclass with Dr. Andrew Wilner, Author of The Locum Life
- A Freelance Consulting Masterclass with Dr. Mike Woo-Ming, Author of The Positioned Physician
You’ll also be able to ask me questions via the comments on any presentation. And you are encouraged to participate in regular live Zoom “Office Hours” meetings.
Family physician, medical director, hospital CMO, entrepreneur, speaker and host of Physician Nonclinical Careers Podcast, John has interviewed and collaborated with physicians in dozens of nonclinical careers and side-gigs.
He mentors physicians who wish to pursue careers that enable them work in their "Zone of Genius."
John has spent years interviewing physician coaches and doctors who have successfully transitioned to fulfilling unconventional careers - both nonclinical and nontraditional clinical careers.
He is a sought-after podcast guest, and speaker for national conferences addressing career transition.
Here is what others say about John...
"I think everything we talked about and all the info you gave me was extremely helpful. Thanks again for all of your help and please let me know if you need any more input."
Thanks, Dr. M.T.
"Dr. Jurica understands the challenges associated with career transition and physician burnout. He is at the cutting edge of the ideological divide between the traditional 1:1 practice model and well-researched alternative non-clinical options."
"This is a great resource for physicians considering a career change. John’s suggestions are supportive, reasonable, and bring a great perspective from someone who’s actually done it himself.
“Our discussion back in October was great and I really appreciated your time… You had given me great resources - people, books, websites - which I have been using. I am currently in the credentialing process with 3 telemedicine companies - American Well, Teladocs and Doctor on Demand… I think everything we talked about and all the info you gave me was extremely helpful.”
“I’m a breast surgeon oncologist from Brazil, recently relocated to Austin, TX, and a new fan of your podcast. I just recently found it, and have been binging for the past few days. I wanted to drop you a note to say it has been incredibly helpful so far!” Dr. M.J.
Courses Included with Purchase
Original Price: $861
Frequently Asked Questions
Here is what John’s students have to say:
“I have learned so much from John Jurica… his Nonclinical Career Academy can really help you hone your career search down to the field that is best for YOU!! To top it off John is incredibly accomplished himself… He is an excellent tour guide through the world of nonclinical careers.” – Dr. D.M.
“I had the pleasure of meeting John in person a few months ago and experienced his passion for helping physicians learn about resources in nonclinical career industries.” - Dr. M.B.
“Dr. John Jurica is a wealth of resources when it comes to providing information on nonclinical careers…” – Anonymous
“Dr. Jurica understands the challenges associated with career transition and physician burnout. He is at the cutting edge of the ideological divide between the traditional 1:1 practice model and well-researched alternative nonclinical options without compromising our desire to help people.” - Anonymous
Here is what the CEO of the American Association for Physician Leadership has to say about alternative career paths:
“Choosing what career path to follow over the duration of a professional life is one of the highest priority areas where physicians can truly make a significant difference for themselves and for their families.
Regardless of career stage, many physicians will at some point consider alternative career paths distinctly different from traditional patient care. Why these considerations arise is an open question, but given the complexity of modern healthcare and the arduous lifestyle for physicians on the frontline of care delivery, it is not surprising…
As we all recognize, medical school and specialty training do not provide adequate insights regarding alternative career paths… physicians must seek additional resources when considering how and where to identify alternative career paths…”
Peter Angood, MD, FACS(C), FACS, MCCM, FAAPL (Hon)
CEO and President, American Association for Physician Leadership, In Foreword to 50 Nonclinical Careers for Physicians, by Sylvie Stacy, MD, MPH
You may still have some reservations about joining the Nonclinical Career Academy Membership program. Here are answers to common questions that past students have had:
Q: Do I have to take the courses in order, or can I jump around?
A: The NCA is designed to allow you to design your own “curriculum,” selecting courses that you believe are the most useful to you. We recommend that once you select a course, you follow the order as it is presented. However, you are free to start a new course if you wish and come back to the first one later.
Q: Is there a money-back guarantee?
A: Yes, after looking through the available courses, you may request a full refund as long as it is within 7 days of enrollment.
Q: Can I retake a course once I have completed it?
A: Yes, as long as you are a member, you can repeat a course, or download and print available checklists or download and listen to MP3 audio files.
Q: Can I request new courses?
A: Yes, you can leave comments in an existing course or use the email function to send requests directly to John Jurica at [email protected]
Q: Will there be membership price increases as the number of courses continues to grow?
A: There will eventually be price increases for new members. However, existing members will always remain at the same membership price level. So, it is advantageous to join now and lock in the current low monthly membership fee for life.
The Nonclinical Career Academy Membership Program is a unique learning resource designed to meet the needs of busy physicians who are considering, or in the process of selecting, an unconventional new career.
If you want to greatly accelerate the pivot to your first NONCLINICAL JOB, stop wasting time and start implementing the strategies and tactics proven to get results. Join now. Start your journey TODAY.
As a former medical director, practice owner, entrepreneur, podcaster, hospital chief medical officer, certified physician executive, CME accreditation surveyor, medical writer, and editor, online course creator, lecturer, physician advocate and expert in nonclinical careers, I promise that these lessons will provide insights and ideas that will move you forward. Look it over, and request a refund within 7 days if you don't agree.
- 24 courses addressing nonclinical careers and part-time jobs for physicians, with new courses added each month,
- 24/7 access to the content at your convenience and pacing,
- Content including video lectures, handouts, checklists, downloadable resources, and audio recordings,
- Lifetime access locked in at the current monthly or annual price for as long as you are a member of the NCA Membership program.
- The Monthly Membership fee is $97, with a discounted Annual Membership cost of only $815 (that's a $349 savings!)
The ULTIMATE Benefit of Joining, however, is to be able to...
- Leave your unfulfilling, overwhelming clinical job,
- Find a career that puts you in your Zone of Genius, with no malpractice concerns, and no EMR, and
- Help patients in new ways while using your medical training and experience.
Sign Up NOW!